Bloomberg Software Engineer/SRE - Communication Channels in New York, New York
Job Requisition Number: 69075
The Communication Channels team builds products used by the Bloomberg community for real-time communication such as exchanging quotes, trade ideas, news and other financial information. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver more than a billion messages across millions of chat rooms per day, and have a broad user-base unlike any other in the company, comprising of asset managers, brokers, traders, financial analysts and desks across all asset classes. Our users rely on these products because of their real-time performance, massive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications on the Bloomberg Terminal, and, most importantly, singular access to the Bloomberg network of 350,000 financial professionals.
To make sure we satisfy our clients’ need for speed as well as stability, we have very high standards for reliability and scalability. And that’s where our SREs come in! Our mission is to ensure that IB and MSG are up 24/7. We’re involved from design to deployment to ensure our infrastructure is reliable, performant and scalable.
What’s in it for you:
Given the criticality of our products in the daily workflow of the financial community, and the scale at which our products are used, our SRE team is one of the most visible teams across Bloomberg. Our products are continuously evolving and have experienced more than 100% growth in usage over the last year, which means we have to have a very sharp focus on stability and scalability. As a member of the SRE team, you’ll build and standardize our performance and capacity planning environment to allow us to easily answer questions around the health and capacity of our system, as we add more features and users.
We’ll trust you to define best practices and standards for testing/monitoring/logging/alarming across 90+ developers and build tools to automate our release processes. We’ll expect you to be passionate about using the right tool for the job, and research new tools to figure out how we can best use them for our systems. You’ll have the opportunity to create sophisticated dashboards for our engineers as well as our business partners.
You’ll have a lot of flexibility in forging your own path as an SRE at Bloomberg and driving the SRE culture forward. Making our infrastructure best–in-class will be your main mission, so you’ll have many opportunities to create and implement your own improvements. We’ll send you to conferences and meetups to keep up with the SRE space outside Bloomberg and apply that knowledge to building and improving our processes here at Bloomberg.
You’ll need to have:
- Strong skills with one or more object oriented languages (C++ or Java preferred)
- Solid experience with a scripting language (preferably Python)
- UNIX networking skills
- Familiarity with design and implementation of large scale distributed systems
- Experience with one or more of: production monitoring, capacity management, deployment and rollback, provisioning, configuration and orchestration
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- A track record of creating and implementing new processes and workflows related to SDLC pipelines
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Graphite and Splunk
- Exposure to containers and orchestration frameworks
Our projects include (but are not limited to):
- Building a comprehensive performance testing framework that will be used by all teams in Communication Channels for stress-testing and capacity measurement of key pieces of infrastructure.
- Establishing standards and building dashboards, libraries and tools for metric collection, visualization and alarming.
- Building black-box health testing frameworks to monitor the health of our products.
- Developing a "Chaos Engineering" framework that can be used by teams both within and outside Communication Channels for failure testing.
- Building diagnostic tools that use Machine Learning (ML) to figure out the root causes of issues more quickly.
Check out more about how we work and what it means to be an SRE at Bloomberg in our blog post: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres /